The Director of Corporate Affairs will direct the public relations and media relations aspects of the external affairs function for the Company. Collaborate with the other members of the External Affairs team and operational teams to develop and execute all external communications to ensure alignment with business goals and company values. Serves as media spokesman for the company and as otherwise requested
- Research, develop and execute consistent messaging to be used for all external communications, including all corporate and social media efforts.
- Develop strategies around the use and maintenance of the company’s corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for all media engagement, including press and social media, engaging other media-trained executives as required.
- Leads the content development and management of corporate press releases, media kit materials, issue briefs and other communications materials, and develop and socialize key messaging for various corporate initiatives.
- Oversee and execute proactive media outreach and strategic story development
- Develop appropriate response to various local and industry trade media inquiries.
- Develops communications strategy for Emergency Response events. Act as spokesman for Colonial in crisis situations.
- Develop and distribute emergency communication notifications in crisis situations and assure that media professionals are available on call 24 hours daily.
- Drives strategic collaboration with various corporate functions to promote an integrated communications approach.
- Develops, executes and measures PR initiatives through mainstream and industry trade news media, as well as social media channels.
- Oversees public relations and media consultants. Requires some travel, which may increase in times of crisis or during special projects.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Corporate messaging, crisis communication, public relations strategy
- Strong communication (written, verbal, non-verbal) skills, excellent interpersonal skills, strong presentation and public speaking skills, ability to analyze, comprehend and interpret the effect of laws and rules, excellent negotiation and persuasive skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to quickly absorb information, understand complex, key concepts, and Colonial positions and develop accurate, succinct, and convincing messaging around them
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, business or related field
- MBA will be a plus
- At least ten years of experience in leading corporate communications and public relations.
Proven experience with strategic planning, messaging strategy, corporate communications, public relations, content development, writing, social media, project management, vendor/agency management.